9. Loch Ness Monster. A Scottish whiskey company offered a reward for proof of the legendary creature's existence. The company purchased an insurance policy to cover the cost of the reward. A recent discovery in the lake turned out not to be the elusive reptile, but rather a prop from a Sherlock Holmes movie from the 1970's. Keep searching everyone!
8. Body Hair. Tom Jones had his chest hair - yes, chest hair, insured for 7 million dollars.
7. Aliens, werewolves and vampires. 60,000 policies have been issued to protect against an alien abduction or the bite of a supernatural monster. Be gone, evil beast. I'm protected by Mutual of Saturn. Director Stanley Kubrick, while filming 2001: A Space Odyssey, was concerned about having the existence of alien life proven before the film's release and tried to obtain and insurance policy to cover the cost of the film.
6. Breasts & Legs. No, not the Colonel's secret recipe. Actually body parts. Mariah Carey had her legs insurance for 1 billion dollars. Heidi Klum also had her legs insured, but because one had a tiny scar, it was valued at half of the other leg.
5. Lottery winners. This protects companies from having all of their employees quit after winning the lottery. You can quit! Who will serve the omelets?
4. Tongues. Rocker Gene Simmons, of KISS, had his tongue insured for 1 million dollars. This is actually quite a common form of insurance. Coffee tasters, wine tasters and chefs will insure their ability to taste from loss of income if their taste buds are damaged.
3. Paternity Suits. David Lee Roth bought an insurance policy to protect against any and all paternity suits.
2. A Virgin Birth. Three sisters from Scotland purchased a policy to cover an immaculate conception. The Catholic Church took issue with the policy, which was subsequently rescinded. In 1999, another young lady, named Mary Murphy, had a policy, in anticipation of the coming millennium and the second coming of Christ.
1. Zombie Apocalypse. This policy will cover the cost to clean up in the event of a zombie virus outbreak. It will cover the cost to clean the curtains after your boyfriend is eaten by a horde of undead cannibals.
So beware and be prepared for these inevitabilities. This has been another post of The Back Office Talk.